•     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •  
Baptist Chapel was frst established circa 1835. There was a log church located about fifty yards east of the present site. Baptist Chapel was then known as Taylor Swamp Church and was affiliated with the Primitive Baptists. In 1842 an organizing council met to organize a Missionary Baptist Church. The name was then changed to Baptist Chapel Baptist Church. The first pastor was Stephen Senter. In 1847, Baptist Chapel was accepted as a member of the Raleigh association. In 1858, Baptist Chapel became a charter member of the Cedar Creek Association. In 1877, fifteen churches met at Baptist Chapel to organize the South River Association. Baptist Chapel became a charter member of the New South River Baptist Association which was organized at Autryville Baptist Church in 1924.
Four church buildings, a pastorium and a cemetery have been situated on land given by the families of Houston Wrench and Hughie Campbell Wrench. The first church, a log structure, was built in 1842. The second building, a board structure, was built in 1870. The third building, a white frame building with a steeple, was completed in 1901. An education building was added to this structure in 1953. The beautiful sanctuary and educational building now in use was completed in 1981.
The members of Baptist Chapel have always expressed a great concern for the growth of our Lordís Kingdom. This growth is evidenced by the planting of three churches in the Clement Community. In 1867, the black members of Baptist Chapel asked Rev. Reuben Fisher, the pastor, to help them organize a church. Rev. Fisher met with them under an oak tree approximately one mile south of Baptist Chapel and organized Elizabeth Missionary Baptist Church. In 1878, several members asked for letters of dismission and organized Union Grove Baptist Church. Ten years later, in 1888, twenty-one members asked for letters of dismission and organized Clement Baptist Church.
The current facility consisting of a sanctuary with seating for approximately four hundred, class rooms, offices and a large fellowship hall was dedicated in October of 1981.
In recent years, Baptist Chapel has been actively engaged in missions. In 1986, our church joined other North Carolina Baptists in a partnership mission with Baptists in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Pastor Ira Sutton, Chester Alligood, Hubert Honeycutt, Melinda Ivey, Gloria Lisboa, Carla Martin and Lynette Smith represented the church in Brazil.
In August of 2001, Baptist Chapel sent a team of 15 to Alaska for eight days where they helped construct a worship center for Birchwood Baptist Church in Chugiak. The team was comprised of Pastor Alan Roberts, Willard and Lynette Smith, Tony and Sherry Martin, Johnnie Holland, Robert Holland, W. E. Honeycutt, Mozelle Daniels, James Hairr, Willie Gerald Wrench, Glenn Blanchard, Wilton Page, Donald Daniels, and Lee Ronald Daniels.
Working with nine other churches in the area, Baptist Chapel sponsors the Mingo Baptist Spanish Mission. The mission is an outreach to the Hispanic population in this end of Sampson County with a strong emphasis toward reaching the many migrant workers.